MTS-Servohydraulic Test System
Mechanical characterization is performed using Material Testing System 810. The MTS 810 divers a broad array of testing capabilities for both low- and high-force static and dynamic testing. By selecting from variety of force capacities, servovalve flow ratings, pump capacities, software, and accessories, the floor-standing 810 system can easily be configured to meet your specific material or component testing needs.
MTS 810: Unit Features
- Force capacity (maximum) - 100 kN (22 kip)
- A wide performance range
- The ability to test materials ranging in strength from plastics to aluminum, composites and steel
- A large test space to accommodate standard, medium and large size specimens, grips, fixtures and environmental subsystem
- The capability to perform a wide variety of test types from tensile to high cycle fatigue, fracture mechanics, and durability of components
Standard Operating Procedure and Machine Specifications
Model: HAAKE Viscometer 7
Viscosity is a measure of the resistatnce of a fluid which is being deformed by either shear stress of tensile stress. Viscosity and viscoelastic behavior of resins are very critical in composites manufacturing. Our lab is equipped with a classic rotational viscometer for the fast determination of viscosity as defined in ISO 2555 and more ASTM standards. For the determination of the rheological properties of a substance the measuring range can be changed by suing a different speed or by a change of the spindle. The selection depends on the standard to be followed.
Standard Operating Procedure and Machine Specifications
TMA- Thermomechanical Analyzer
Model: TMA Q400
A thermomechanical analyzer reasure sample dimensional changes under conditions of controlled temperature, time, force, and atmosphere. In our lab we use TMA Q400 with vertical furnace. It is a high performance, ease-of-use device that is reliable and can be used in a wide variety of applications, including:
- Shtinkage Force Testing
- Fil Tensile Testing
- Fiber Stress/Strain Measurements
- Thermal Stress Analysis of Fibers
- Creep Analysis
- Stress Relaxation Analysis
- Viscoelastic Property Determanation - Dynamic TMA
- Separation Overlapping Transion - Modulated TMA
Reological and Processing Characteristics
Haake- Polylab Extruder
Model: Measuring Single Screw Extruder & HAAKE Rheomex 19/25 OS
- Screw Diameter: 19.05 mm
- Extruder Length: L/D 20
- Feeding: Hopper
Screw plastification is the most common method of processing plastics, rubber, foodstuffs and ceramic materials. Rheomex controls data administration and communication with master unit. Mobile measuring sensors avoid necessity of handling heavy and hot parts. Integrated heating and cooling circuits reduce the number of plug connections and reduces danger of making incorrect connections. Several peripheral units, such as feeding and post-extrusion units, are computer-controllable, allowing better reproducibility and documentation. This simplifies handling in laboratory and enables secure operation. The extruder tool enables analysis of rheological and processing characteristics of many materials.
Leica- Optical microscope
Model: Leica Z16 APO A
The lab is equiped with optical microscope, Leica Z16 APO A, that allows analysis of materials. We also have a digital microscope/camera, Dino-Lite AM 313. These easy to use instuments allowe the taking of pictures and videos before, during, and after mechanical tests.
Mass Loss Calorimeter
- Provids an inexpensive stand alone instrument that enables mass loss rates to be determined at any heat flux in the range of the cone calorimeter model of ISO 5660
- Provids a unit that can be added to commercial cone calorimeters so that they can be used in oxygen depleted low flow atmospheres
- Is readily fitted to existing or future build oxygen depletion systems
- Is readily converted to dynamic smoke, corrosion and toxicity tests.
Relationship between heat release and mass loss:
Instron- Low Velocity Impact Tester
Model: Instron CEAST 9340
The CEAST 9340 is a floor standing impact system designed to deliver 0.30 - 405 J (0.22 - 299 ft-lb) of energy. The CEAST 9340 is suitable for a range of impact applications including tensile impact, penetration tests on plates and films, Izod, and Charpy tests.
- Fully enclosed and interlocked test area
- Various support fixtures enable users to test a wide range of specimens and components
- Motorized crosshead positioning system
- Changeable tups and inserts
- Full set of weights to deliver a wide range of impact energies
Thermal Imaging Camera
Model: Raz-IR NANO
The Advanced Composites Lab is equiped with a Raz-IR NANO thermal imaging camera that is capable of of 60hz real time thermal imaging. In addtion, the Raz-IR is capable of producing thermal videos that can be used to observe the thermal properties of materials at fracture at their fracture points. It records temperatures ranging from -20 to 250+ ºC and the Raz-IR thermal camera holds a spectral range of 8-14µm long wave lengths. It also includes a variable emmisivity that ranges from .01 to .99 to ensure quality results.
Hioki Super Megaohmmeter SM-8215
The Hioki Super Megaohmmeter SM-8215 is capable of measuring volume resistance from 0.25 - 2E13 Ω. Voltage range is 50 - 1000 V DC.
The SM-8215 is paired with the SME-8350 Shielding Box and SME-8320 Weight Electrode.
The SME-8350 is used as a sample accommodation box during measurement of a high-insulation resistance samples, or inductive or capacitive samples to perform electromagnetic shielding. It is particularly useful when high insulation resistance cannot be properly measured due to effects from noise and induction hum in the measuring environment.
The SME-8320 is a plate sample surface resistance measurement electrode consisting of the main electrode, counter electrode, and positioning jig. This electrode enables extremely easy measurement of surface resistivity and volume resistance. The main electrode dia. is 50mm, and the ring electrode inner-dia. and outer-dia. are 70mm and 80mm respectively.