The glove box is a sealed container designed to allow one to manipulate objects where a separate atmosphere is desired. Built into the sides of the glove box are gloves arranged in such a way that the user can place his or her hands into the gloves and perform tasks inside the box without breaking containment. The glove box is transparent to allow the user to see what is being manipulated. It allows a person to work with hazardous substances, such as nanoparticles.
Nano-Patricles Containment Room
This negative-pressure clean room is used in manufacturing or scientific research that deals with hazard materials, such as nanoparticles. This room is equipped with ULPA filters. The size of the room is about 2.5 by 3.5 meters. It also serves as permanent storage of nanomaterials and nano-contaminated equipment. Only people instructed by the personal are allowed to enter this room.
- This is 8’ x 10’ hard-wall ready-made clean room.
- This room maintains negative pressure and there is dedicated exhaust to this room (with blower on the roof).
- The filters used are ULPA (ultra-low penetration air) filters rated 99.999 percent efficient with particles of 0.12 microns (120 nm) in diameter. Traditional HEPA filters are good up to 0.3 microns (300 nm) with rated efficiency of 99.98 percent.
- Researchers who would like to use this room have to wear half-mask respirator, lab suit, and other personal protected equipments.
- All these people will have to pass Pulmonary Function Test and undergo Respirator Training.
Personal Protection Equipment
The lab is equipped with different protective equipment, such as gloves, safety glasses, lab coats, and half-face respirators. Personal and students are required to use appropriate protective equipment while in the lab. All equipment complies with OSHA standards and regulations.
Safety Zones and Safety Signs
All large machines are surrounded by safety zones for personal protection. Information and warning sign are posted throughout the lab. The lab is an excellent example of well organized manufacturing or testing facility.